Wednesday, July 18, 2012

“Lord, this is a good thing, yet why have I made it so absolute?” Tim Keller


“Lord, this is a good thing, yet why have I made it so absolute? What is this compared to you? If I have you, I don’t have to have this. This cannot love me and help me as you do. This is not my life- Jesus is my life. This is not my righteousness and worthiness. It cannot give me that- but you can and have!” 

“Lord, why am I giving this so much power over me? If I keep doing it, it will strangle me. I don’t have to do so- I will not do so any longer. This will not be my master. You are my only King.” 

“Lord, I see how repulsive idolizing this mere idol really is. In yearning after this, I was trampling on your love for me. I realize now my lack of thankfulness, my lack of grateful joy for what you have done for me.” 

“Lord, only in your presence are fullness of joy and pleasures forever more (Ps. 16:11), yet here am I trying to find comfort in something else. This thing I am tempted by is just pleasure that will wear off so soon, while your pleasure, though it may start small, will grow on and on forever (Prov. 4:18). Please remove my idol of pleasure, which can never give me the pleasure I need.”

“Lord, I live by your sheer grace. That means though I don’t deserve to have things go right, I know you are working them all out for good (Rom. 8:28), because you love me in Christ. My security in life is based neither on luck nor hard work, but on your gracious love for me. You have counted every hair on my head and every tear down my cheeks (Ps. 56:8). You love me far more and better than anyone else loves me, or than I love myself. Please remove my idol of security I need.” 

“Lord, when I forget the gospel I become impatient and judgmental toward others. I forget that you have been infinitely patient with me over the years. You are ‘slow to anger and rich in love’ (Ps. 145:8). When I am anything other than tenderhearted and compassionate to people around me, I am like the unmerciful servant, who, having been forgiven an infinite debt, is hard toward his fellow debtor (Matt. 18:21-35). Please remove the idol of power- the need to get my own way- which is making me so hard toward these people.” 

“Lord, when I forget the gospel I become dependent on the smiles and evaluation of others. I let them sit in judgment on me, then I hear all their criticism as a condemnation of my very being. But you have said there is no condemnation for me now (Rom. 8:1). You delight and sing over me (Zeph. 3:14-17). Let me be satisified with you love (Ps. 90:14). Please remove my idol of approval, which can never give me the approval I need.” 


"Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, 
    that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days."
Psalm 90:14

Recommended book, Counterfeit Gods, Amazon, by Tim Keller.

No comments:

Post a Comment